- 8 red onions
- 4 teaspoons of dried chopped Chilli
- 25 ml olive oil
- 200 g brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 150 ml balsamic vinegar
- 150 ml red wine vinegar
- Cut the onions and chilli into thin slices, then cut onion slices in half again and put them into a pan with chilli and oil. Cook gently over a low heat for about 20 minutes.
- When the onions are dark and sticky, add the sugar, the vinegars and mustard seeds, simmer for about 30 minutes, until the chutney is thick and dark. (Stirring at intervals so the chutney does not stick to the pan).
- Pour the chutney into hot, sterilised jars seal and let chutney cool.
- You must have a taste but really (before you eat it) this should left for a month or maybe even more for the flavours to blend and mature. .